Karunai kizhangu puzhi kuzhambu recipe | Yam kuzhambu is a tasty side dish prepared with yam, sambar powder, tamarind, onion, garlic, spices and salt. It is also called as pidi karunai in tamil.
To know about the medicinal value of yam click – pidi karunai medicinal value.
- karunai kizhangu / pidi karunai / yam – 1/4 kg
- pearl onions / chinna vengayam – 10-15 number
- garlic cloves / poondu pal – 10-15 number
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- sambar powder – 2 tsp Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe
- turmeric powder / manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1.5 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- salt / uppu – to taste
Here we take 1/4 tsp of all ingredients in the anjarai petti.
- gingely oil / nal ennai – 2 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
- black pepper – 1/4 tsp
- fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- asafoetida – pinch
1. Wash well and cook karunai kizhangu in a pressure cooker for 2-3 minutes in medium flame after you get a whistle.
2. Meanwhile remove skin of garlic and pearl onions and keep it ready.
3. Heat 2 tsps of gingely oil in a fry pan. Add all the ingredients under seasoning.
4. When it splutters add pearl onions, garlic and curry leaves.
5. Sauté for few minutes, add water and turmeric powder, close and cook until it becomes soft.
6. Mean while open the pressure cooker, transfer the yam into cold water and remove skin.
7. Chop it into circular pieces.
8. Now open the fry pan and check. The onions and garlic will be well cooked and will be soft. Add sambar powder, salt and tamarind paste. (If you do not have it take extract from lemon size tamarind)
9. Mix well, close and cook for one minute.
10. Now add cooked and chopped yam to it.
11. Allow it to cook in low flame till oil separates on top. Mash few pieces of yam to make the kuzhambu thick. (It is optional to add 2 tsps of ground coconut to make it thick)