Karunai kizhangu puzhi kuzhambu recipe | Yam kuzhambu is a tasty side dish prepared with yam, sambar powder, tamarind, onion, garlic, spices and salt. It is also called as “pidi karunai” in tamil.
To know about the medicinal value of yam click – pidi karunai medicinal value.
A short video link for the recipe:-
Karunai kizhangu puzhi kuzhambu – Ingredients:-
- karunai kizhangu / pidi karunai / yam – 1/4 kg
- pearl onions / chinna vengayam – 10-15 number
- garlic cloves / poondu pal – 10-15 number
- tomato / thakkali – 1 (optional)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- sambar powder – 2 tsp Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe
- turmeric powder / manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1.5 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- salt / uppu – to taste
Karunai kizhangu puzhi kuzhambu – Ingredients for seasoning:-
Here we take 1/4 tsp of all ingredients in the anjarai petti.
- gingely oil / nal ennai – 2 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
- black pepper – 1/4 tsp
- fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- asafoetida – pinch
Karunai kizhangu puzhi kuzhambu – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly wash well and cook karunai kizhangu in a pressure cooker for 2-3 minutes in medium flame after you get a whistle.
2. Meanwhile remove skin of garlic and pearl onions and keep it ready.
3. Secondly heat 2 tea spoons of gingely oil in a fry pan. Add all the ingredients under seasoning.
4. When it splutters add pearl onions, garlic and curry leaves simultaneously.
5. Sauté for few minutes, add salt and turmeric powder. Further add one cup of water, close and cook until it becomes soft.
6. Mean while open the pressure cooker, transfer the yam into cold water and remove skin.
7. Further chop it into circular pieces.
8. Now open the fry pan and check. The onions and garlic will be well cooked and will become soft. Thirdly add sambar powder, salt and tamarind paste. (If you do not have it take extract from lemon size tamarind)
9. Mix well, close and cook for one minute.
10. Finally add cooked and chopped yam to it.
11. Allow it to cook in low flame till oil separates on top. Mash few pieces of yam to make the kuzhambu thick. (It is optional to add 2 tea spoons of ground coconut to make it thick)