Karamani Sundal recipe | thattai payaru | Navarathri special is a prasadham for goddess Durga during navarathiri festival. You can distribute for kids and devotees. Sundals are very tasty and healthy protein packed dishes. You can prepare this as one among the nine different varieties of sundal’s prepared during Navratri festival.
If you are bored with regular snacks and sundals with channa dal, you can prepare this as evening snacks for children from school. Soak karamani which is also called as Cow peas or thattai payaru in water for more than 6 hours for preparing this dish. If you need it immediately, you can dry roast the peas for few minutes until you get brown or black dots in it and cook it in a pressure cooker with enough water. However soaking in water is the best method.
Preparation Time:- 15 mts
To Serve:- 2
Karamani Sundal recipe – Ingredients:-
- karamani / cow peas / thattai payaru – 1 cup
- grated coconut – 2 tblsp
- salt – to taste (approximately 1/2 tsp)
Karamani Sundal recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/ perungaayam – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilly – 2
- Red chilly – 1
- Curry leaves – few
Karamani Sundal recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly wash and soak Karamani in water overnight or for a minimum of 6 hours.
2. Secondly pressure cook Karamani with little water and salt for 2 minutes in low flame after you get a whistle.
3. Once pressure is released drain excess of water.
4. Further heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal, asafoetida, slit green and red chillies and cooked Karamani. Sauté for 2 minutes till water gets completely absorbed. Finally add grated coconut, mix well and switch off the stove. Transfer to serving bowl. Give it as prasadham to goddess and distribute the prasadham in small cups.