Kara Pori recipe | Bhel masala mixture | Puffed rice is a mixture with puffed rice which can be prepared as evening snacks for children from School. Here we add ground nuts, roasted gram, cashew nuts, crushed garlic, red chilly powder and curry leaves.
We see a lot of bhel chaat in Mumbai roads and in railway stations in which they mix finely chopped onions, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, coriander and lemon juice which should be consumed at once. That chat will become watery after an hour. But here we prepare the chat which lasts for few days when stored in containers. That is the advantage in this recipe. Now let us see about the recipe.
- puffed rice / pori – 2 cups
- groundnut / nila kadalai – 1/4 cup
- roasted gram / pottu kadalai – 1/4 cup
- cashew nuts / mundhiri paruppu – 7-8 number (broken into two)
- garlic / poondu – 5-6 crushed
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1/4 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- salt / uppu – 1/2 tsp
- chat masala – 1/4 tsp
- oil – 1 tsp
1. Dry roast the ground nut, roasted gram and broken cashew nuts.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add crushed garlic and curry leaves and fry for 2 minutes till it becomes crispy.
3. Then add the roasted nuts and fry for 2 more minutes and switch off the stove.
4. Now add red chilly powder, turmeric powder, chat masala and salt and mix well.
5. Add the puffed rice to the pan and mix well till the spices stick to it and when the pan is hot.
6. Cool this mixture for five to ten minutes and then store it in a air tight container and serve whenever needed.