Kara boondi recipe | Poongodi’s Kitchen with detailed photos. Kara boondi is an evening snack prepared from gram flour. We add little red chilly powder, rice powder and salt while preparing the batter. This batter is poured in a filter spoon called as boondi spoon, which passes the batter to fall in drops. These drops directly fall into hot oil and deep fried, which is then mixed with roasted cashew nuts and curry leaves.
Other snacks recipes
A short video link for the recipe:-
Kara boondi recipe – Tips:-
- consistency of the batter plays an important role in shaping the boondi pearls.
- if boondi is long the batter is little thick.
- if boondi is flat the batter is watery and requires more gram flour.
- drain the boondi pearls in a tissue to remove excess oil in it.
- raita can be prepared with this Kara boondi.
Kara boondi recipe – Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- gram flour / besan / kadalai maavu – 1 cup
- rice flour / arisi maavu – 1/4 cup
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- baking powder – pinch
- salt – 1/4 tsp
- water – as required
- oil – for deep frying
Kara boondi recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly take a bowl and add gram flour, rice flour, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, asafoetida, baking powder and salt.
2. Secondly add water little by little and make a thick batter.
3. Thirdly heat oil in a fry pan. Take boondi ladle and keep it ready.
4. Further pour boondi batter into the boondi spoon and spread with another spoon.
5. Now boondi will fall directly into hot oil. Fry till bubbles stop in the oil and boondis were fried well.
6. Remove fried boondis and drain excess oil through a filter. Again put it in a tissue to remove excess oil.
I have posted a video of preparing boondi and deep frying. You can note the consistency of batter and frying of boondi.
7. Fry few cashew nuts to golden brown.
8. Then fry curry leaves until crisp and remove.
9. Finally mix fried boondi, cashew nuts and curry leaves and put it into an air tight container.