Kambu | Bajra | Pearl millet dosai recipe is one of the healthiest food for breakfast. Millets are rich in protein, fibre, calcium, iron and minerals. It helps to reduce cholesterol and lowers blood pressure. It also helps to reduce body weight. Good for diabetic patients. Pre-menopausal women eating millets have a reduced breast cancer risks. In olden days these grains were used regularly by our ancestors but totally forgotten today. They can be used in many recipes instead of rice and wheat. These millets are grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides and hence organic. Let’s bring back our traditional food in our daily diet and create awareness on health.
Soak these millets for two hours in water, clean and dry in sunlight and store before using.
Some millet varieties:-
Tamil – Hindi – English names
- Saamai /Kutki / Little millet
- Varagu /Koden / Kodra / Kodo millet
- Thinai /Kangni / Rala / Foxtail millet
- Kezhvaragu / Nachani /Mundua / Finger millet
- Kambu / Bajra / Pearl millet
- Kuthiraivaali / Jhangora / Barnyard millet
- Cholam / Jowar / Sorghum
Kambu is one of the best body coolants that we can take kambu during peak summer. You will be less likely to suffer from heat strokes, ulcers and dehydration, if you make a habit of eating kambu in summer.
Kambu dosai recipe
- kambu/ bajra/ pearl millet – 1 cup
- raw rice/ pacharisi – 1 cup
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1/2 cup
- fenugreek seeds/ vendhayam – 1 tsp
- salt/ uppu – to taste (approximately 1 tsp)
1. Wash and soak kambu, rice, urad dal and fenugreeek seeds together in water for one hour.
2. Grind the soaked items in a grinder or mixie along with salt. Make a nice batter with required water.
3. Close and keep it in room temperature. Let it ferment for 3 hours.
4. After 3 hours make dosa in a dosa pan. Sprinkle one tsp of vegetable oil and close.
5. after one minute open the lid and remove dosa.
6. Serve along with desired side dish.
Click on the link below for other recipes with kambu