Kambu puttu recipe | Bajra | Pearl millet is prepared from Kambu which is rich in iron and calcium and vitamin B-complex. Due to the growing awareness of nutritional benefits of bajra, these days people are trying to include bajra in their diet. So kambu puttu now became a part of healthy diet.
It is also known as ‘Pearl millet’ or ‘Bajra’ is a very nutritious grain. In Tamil Nadu Kambu sadham, Kambu adai and kambu kali were prepared for breakfast. Consuming kambu koozh keep the farmers energetic without hunger for many hours. It will also keep your body cool in spite of hard work for the whole day in the hot summer. So we prefer recipes with kambu during summer in order to cool down the body temperature. I have given the methods of making puttu in easy steps below.
A short video link for the recipe:-
Kambu puttu recipe – Ingredients:-
- bajra / Kambu maavu / pearl millet powder – 1 cup
- jaggery / vellam – 3/4 cup
- grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- cardomom powder / elakkai powder – 1/4 tsp
Kambu puttu recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly mix kambu maavu and cardamom powder together. Add water little by little and mix with your hands. It should not be more powdery or watery. The correct consistency is given in the photo below.
2. Secondly sieve it through a seive with big holes as shown in the photo
3. Further heat 2 cups of water in a pan, keep the plate with holes (idiyappam plate) above it, place a cloth and put puttu maavu and let it be in steam.
4. Close with a lid and let it be in steam for 10 minutes.
5. After ten minutes transfer cooked puttu to a plate.
6. Meanwhile heat jaggery with one tsp of water in another pan.
7. Finally when jaggery melts pour above cooked puttu. Add grated coconut and mix well and serve or you can make round balls and serve.
Click on the links below for other Kambu recipes.