kalakkai pickle recipe | Bengal current | கிளாக்காய் ஊறுகாய் is prepared using tasty bengal current fruit which is called as kalakkai , with spices and salt.
Botanical name – Carissa carandas is a flowering shrub which produces berries, that are commonly used in pickles. Common name include “bengal currant” (English), “kali maina” (Marathi), “Vakkaya” (Telugu) and “kalakkai” (tamil). This fruit is rich in iron, so used in treatment of anemia. It contains a fair amount of vitamin C and pectin. It is a useful ingredient in jelly, jam, syrup and chutney too. Ripe fruits exude a white latex when severed from the branch. Today let us see how to prepare a pickle using this fruit.
kalakkai pickle recipe – Ingredients:-
- kalakkai – 100 grams
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1 tsp
- fenugreek seeds/ vendhayam – 1 tsp
- red chilly powder/ milagai podi – 2 tblsp
- salt – 2 tblsp
- gingely oil/ nal ennai – 2 tblsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungaayam – 1/2 tsp
kalakkai pickle recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly dry roast mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds in a fry pan. When it splutters and fenugreek seeds turns brown colour, switch off the stove.
2. Secondly cool down to room temperature and grind it in a mixie.
3. Further in another fry pan heat 2 table spoons of gingely oil.
4. Add mustard seeds and asafetida.
5. When it splutters add kalakkai.
6. Fry for a few minutes. When cracks appear on the fruit switch off the stove.
7. Add red chilly powder and salt.
8. Finally add ground powder of mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
9. Cool down and store it in a container. Refrigerate it and use.