Chettinad kaichuthal Murukku | Rice flour | கைச்சுத்தல் முறுக்கு, one of the popular recipe of Chettinad, will be an all time favourite snacks for family members and guests. It will be very crispy and of good taste. Main ingredients used here are rice flour and urad dal. Chettinad cuisine – Wikipedia.
My mother and grandma used to prepare this Murukku often. I’ve just seen them preparing it but never tried. For the first time, I think I was studying in 7th standard, I tried to prepare this Murukku. Everyone was surprised to see that Murukku came out well and perfect in my hands. ? So everyone appreciated me and from then I too helped them preparing ‘Kaichuthal murukku’
A short video link for the recipe:-
Chettinad kaichuthal Murukku:– Ingredients:-
- boiled rice – 3 cups (soaked in water for 2 hours and ground at home in a wet grinder)
- urad dal powder – 1 cup (dry roast 1/2 or 1 kg of urad dal till you get a nice flavour. Roast until the dal turns to golden colour and grind it to a fine powder in a rice mill. Do not roast for a long time till colour changes to dark brown)
- butter – 2 tsp
- salt – to taste
- oil – for deep frying. (You can use any oil. I prefer coconut oil)
Chettinad kaichuthal Murukku – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly wash and soak boiled rice for 2 hours.
2. Secondly grind it into a fine batter in a wet grinder using considerable amount of water.
3. Thirdly add butter, salt and urad dal powder. Mix well and make a little thick dough.
4. Further take lemon size ball of dough, touch oil or ghee in your fingers and make murukku using your 3 fingers in a paper. You can also use a murukku maker to prepare this Murukku. But in Chettinad we prepare with our hands. You can learn clearly by seeing the video.
5. Heat considerable amount of oil in a pan. Transfer murukku’s one by one using a flat ladle into hot oil. Flip the murukkus and fry till it turns golden on both sides. When you see no bubbles or sound in oil, you can take it out.
6. This is a good instant snacks for children and guests.