Chettinad kaichuthal Murukku | Rice flour | கைச்சுத்தல் முறுக்கு, one of the popular recipe of Chettinad, will be an all time favourite snacks for family members and guests. It will be very crispy and of good taste. Main ingredients used here are rice flour and urad dal. Chettinad cuisine – Wikipedia.
My mother and grandma used to prepare this Murukku often. I’ve just seen them preparing it but never tried. For the first time, I think I was studying in 7th standard, I tried to prepare this Murukku. Everyone was surprised to see that Murukku came out well and perfect in my hands. ? So everyone appreciated me and from then I too helped them preparing ‘Kaichuthal murukku’
- boiled rice – 3 cups (soaked in water for 2 hours and ground at home in a wet grinder)
- urad dal powder – 1 cup (dry roast 1/2 or 1 kg of urad dal lightly till you get a nice flavour and grind it to a fine powder in a rice mill. Do not roast for a long time till colour changes to golden or brown)
- butter – 2 tsp
- salt – to taste
- oil – for deep frying. (Your own choice of oil. I prefer coconut oil)
1. Wash and soak boiled rice for 2 hrs in water.
2. Grind it into a fine batter in a wet grinder using considerable amount of water.
3. Add butter, salt and urad dhal powder, mix well and make a little thick dough.
4. Take lemon size balls of dough, touch oil in your fingers and make murukku by pressing, using your 3 fingers in a news paper. You can also use a murukku maker to prepare this Murukku. But in Chettinad we prepare with our hands.
5. Transfer murukku’s one by one using a flat ladle into hot oil. Transfer the sides and fry till it turns golden, and you see no bubbles or sound in oil in a medium flame.
6. This is a good instant snacks for children and guests in evenings.