Chettinad Kaaikari Mandi recipe | செட்டிநாடு காய்கறி மண்டி is a special side dish that we prepare in Chettinad which will be in different combinations. This is one type of mandi recipe prepared with all fresh vegetables, whereas Lady’s finger with Mochai will be the other type, and with variety of of vathals (dry vegetables) and kaaramani is another type.
This mandi has a special taste and it is served in almost all Chettinad special lunch. Further we do not use any dal in it and as a result this dish lasts long and so this can be preferred for carrying to picnics and also during travel. This dish is named after the rise rinsed water which we use as the main ingredient called as “mandi” in tamil.
Preparation time :- 20 minutes
To Serve:- 4 persons
Chettinad kaaikari Mandi recipe – Ingredients:-
- Vegetables – You can include any no of vegetables in this recipe like brinjal, raw plantain, potato, drumstick, carrot, capsicum, chow chow, beans, seeds of jack fruit and coconut pieces. (I have chosen brinjal, carrot, capsicum, coconut pieces, raw plantain, potato and drumstick each one cup)
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Coconuts – 6-8 pieces
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Green chillies – 8-10 (slit)
- Garlic – 6-8 cloves
- Turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Tamarind Paste / puzhi – lemon size (if you do not have paste take juice from 1/2 lemon size of tamarind in half a cup of water)
- Arisi mandi – 1 cup (rice rinsed water)
Chettinad kaaikari Mandi recipe – For Seasoning:-
- Mustard seeds / kadugu – 1 tsp
- Urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida powder | perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
Chettinad kaaikari Mandi recipe – Method:-
1. First of all heat 1 tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add chopped onion and subsequently add garlic and green chillies and sauté for few minutes.
2. Secondly add all the chopped vegetables and fry for 2 more minutes.
3. After that when brown spots appear on the vegetables, transfer them to a pressure cooker and add tamarind juice, arisi mandi, salt and turmeric powder.
4. Further close the cooker and keep it in medium flame until you get one whistle. Switch off the stove as soon as you get a whistle.
5. Once when pressure is released open the cooker and check for taste. Add if you need any salt or tamarind. If you need you can also add a red chilly while seasoning. Check for the liquid consistency too and if you need it thick you can keep boiling for few more minutes.
6. Finally heat 1 tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds followed by urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves.
7. When it splutters switch off the stove and pour it to the prepared mandi in the pressure cooker.
8. Serve along with rice, idli or dosa.
I share below even more chettinad Mandi recipes in my website