Idli Upma recipe | thalicha idli | masala idli can be prepared with fresh idlis or left out idlis. Seasoning is done with chopped idlis and we add salt, pepper powder and cumin powder which enhances its taste. This will be a perfect evening snacks or can be prepared for breakfast or dinner.
Let us see how to make Masala idli (Thalicha idli ) This can be prepared with left out idlis in the evening or on the next day morning
- idli’s – 4 number
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/4 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungayam – pinch
- onion – 2 tblsp (chopped)
- green chilly – 1 (slit)
- red chilly – 1 (broken)
- salt – 1/4 tsp
- pepper and cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Wash and break idli’s into small pieces using your fingers.
2. Heat one tsp of gingely oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden add asafoetida.
3. When it splutters add chopped onions, curry leaves, green chilly and red chilly.
4. Fry for one minute and now add chopped idlis.
5. Mix well and sauté for one minute. Now add salt, pepper and cumin powder. Idlis will stick to the bottom of the pan. Stir continuously and remove that portion which sticks to the fry pan and mix with the masala idli. It will be crispy and adds taste to the dish.
6. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve along with idli podi.