Idiyappam recipe | Rice flour idiyappam – step by step preparation of the rice flour and idiyappam which will be an all time favourite recipe at home. This can be served with coconut milk and sweet or with any other side dish like Kaaikari Thirakkal, Katharikkai kosumalli, Breakfast Sambar recipe or Chettinad Kosumalli.
More information in the link – Idiyappam – wikipedia
First let us see how to prepare the rice flour. You can use idiyappam rice flour available in the market also. I make this flour on my own.
Preparation of idiyappam flour:-
1. Soak raw rice in water for one hour.
2. Drain water and dry the wet rice spreading on a newspaper or tissue paper overnight.
3. Now grind this rice to a fine powder either in a mixie at home or in a rice mill.
4. Sieve it through a fine mesh.
5. Now you can add a cup of rice flour to a pan and roast until the flour becomes hot when you touch.
6. Same way you can roast all the remaining flour, cool down to room temperature by spreading in a newspaper for 10-15 minutes and then store it in a container.
- rice flour – 1 cup (roasted)
- water – 1.5 cup
- gingely oil / nal ennai – 1 tsp
- salt – 1/2 tsp (optional. I usually do not add salt at first so that some Idiyappam can be used to make sweet and the rest to make masala Idiyappam to which I add salt during that process)
1. Heat water with gingely oil in a container.
2. When water boils, pour it in the bowl containing rice flour.
3. Mix well using a ladle and close it with a lid. Leave it for 10 minutes.
4. After 10 minutes, open it and mix well with your hands touching water. Make cylindrical balls to put it into a kitchen press.
5. Put the dough into kitchen press and keep it ready. Put Idiyappam pan in a stove. Place a wet cloth in the Idiyappam plate.
6. Now make Idiyappam using the kitchen press with the smallest holes.
7. Cook Idiyappam in pan (steam) for 10 minutes.
8. After 10 minutes transfer Idiyappam to a plate.
9. Now you can disperse it in a bowl and serve it directly with any side dish or you can temper it.
Preparing masala Idiyappam:-
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham Paruppu – 1 tsp
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- green chillies – 2 (slit)
- curry leaves – few
- buttermilk – 1/2 cup
- salt – to taste
1. Chop onion, slit green chillies, collect curry leaves, mix salt with butter milk and keep the ingredients ready.
2. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal.
3. When it turns golden add chopped onion and green chillies and sauté for few minutes till it turns pale.
4. Now add Buttermilk mixed with salt. Switch off as soon as it starts curdling.
5. Pour the contents into prepared and dispersed Idiyappam in the bowl and mix well without breaking Idiyappam. You can also put the Idiyappam into the fry pan, switch off the stove and then mix well without breaking.
6. Serve along with any side dish of your wish like kuruma, Kosumalli or sambar.