Home made Curry masala powder | கறி மசாலா பொடி is a podi prepared to use for both veg and non-veg recipes. Spices mixed with this masala powder will give good flavour and taste to your dishes.
Today’s markets are flooded with ready made powders and masalas. Many of us buy them instead of preparing at home. Store bought powders will have preservatives in it to improve shelf life and artificial colours to make it attractive. If we prepare at home once and use it, we will never turn back to go for ready made masala powders. This masala powder has a good and moderate aroma of spices and gives a good smell to the recipe. Not very pungent or very spicy.
Now let’s go to the recipe.
- red chillies/ vara milagai – 20 number
- coriander seeds/ malli – 4 tblsp or 50 grams
- fennel seeds/ sombu – 2 tblsp
- Cumin seeds/ seeragam – 2 tblsp
- poppy seeds/ kasa kasa – 1 tblsp
- Cinnamon sticks/ pattai – 4-5 inch pieces
- Black cardomom/ masala cardomom/ karuppu elakkai – 1
- cloves/ kirambu – 4-5
- pepper corns/ milagu – 1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder/ manjal podi – 1 tsp
The amount I have given will come for three to four months to one family. If you have it for more than three months you can refrigerate it and use for a long time. Some people add roasted gram/ pottu kadalai and raw rice. It’s optional. It may reduce shelf life.
This combination will be correct for almost all vegetables. We should add. 1/2 tsp of red chilly powder to the recipe as we have added lesser amount of red chillies in this powder. If you need it less spicy you can also add fresh coconut or coconut milk according to your need while cooking.
1. Dry roast all the ingredients one by one separately, till you get a nice flavour. Be careful while roasting poppy seeds. Keep it in low flame and roast without burning.
2. Do not roast cinnamon, cloves, turmeric (here we add powder) and black cardomom.
3. Grind into a fine powder in your mixie. If you prepare powder in large amount for sharing with some families or for a function you can grind it in a rice mill. The final powder colour will be in yellow ocher to brown shade, as we add coriander, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and turmeric powder.
Other masala powders in my site are
I will be posting more masala powder recipes soon. Stay tuned.