Greengram Sundal | Moong dal | Sprout | Pachai payaru is a Sundal prepared during navarathri and as evening snacks. We can also use green gram sprouts to prepare this sundal. It will be very healthy and tasty. Sundals are very common evening snacks prepared with legumes, like channa dal, cow peas, field beans, Rajma, soya beans, green gram, pea nuts and many more grains.
We have already prepared a sweet version of green gram sundal. Today we we are going to prepare it with salt. Here we add grated coconut to garnish.
- green gram/ pachai payaru/ Pasi payaru/ moong dal – 1 cup (sprouts can also be used)
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- red chilly/ vara milagai – 1 number
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
- grated coconut – 2 tblsp
1. Soak green gram in water overnight. Or make sprouts out of it. Pressure cook the dal for one whistle with little water (around 1/2 to 1 cup) Do not add more water.
2. Cool down to room temperature and drain water.
3. Heat one tsp of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden brown.
4. Add slit red chilly and curry leaves.
5. Then add cooked green gram and salt and sauté for a few minutes, till water in it completely disappears.
6. Now add grated coconut and saute for one more minute.
7. Switch off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl. Keep it for neivedhyam to the goddess and distribute in paper cups to neighbours and children.
Other recipes with this legume are