Green chutney recipe | Hari chutney Chaat is a simple tasty and spicy green coloured chutney mainly used for chaat recipes or street food recipes which can also be used as sandwich spread or frankie spread. It is mainly prepared with the combination of coriander leaves and mint leaves with green chillies and garlic pods along with black salt and lemon juice. We have already prepared Sweet tamarind dates chutney which is also used for chaats. This green chutney is used for chaats such as Pani Puri, sev puri, Dhahi puri, dhabeli, sandwiches and Vegetable Samosas. Know about the street chaats of Mumbai through the link – Street foods in Mumbai.
Now let us see how to prepare this spicy green chutney for chaats. The ingredients used here gives a lovely green (hara in Hindi) colour to the chutney.
- coriander leaves – 1 cup
- mint / pudina leaves – 1 cup
- garlic cloves / poondu pal – 3 number
- ginger / inji – 2 inch
- green chilly / pachai milagai – 3 number
- cumin powder / seeraga podi – 1/2 tsp
- chaat masala powder – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- sugar – 1/2 tsp
- salt – 1/2 tsp (black salt preferred)
- lemon juice – 1 tsp
1. Add all the above ingredients except lemon juice to a blender. Blend to a smooth chutney adding required water.
2. Pour it into a bowl or bottle to store and add one tsp of lemon juice.
3. Mix well and now the green chutney is ready to use for chaat items.
This green chutney stays good for one month when refrigerated.
Some Mumbai chaat recipes in my website are