Garlic Onion Kuruma recipe | Poondu Vengaya Kuruma is prepared using a paste of red chillies, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, grated coconut and few cashews or almonds along with cooked garlic, onion and tomatoes. This kuruma is served as side dish for Idli , dosa or Chapathi .
- pearl onions / cinna vengayam – 1 cup (chopped)
- garlic / poondu – 1 cup (copped)
- tomatoes – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder preparation
- salt – to taste
- red chillies / vara milagai – 5 number
- fennel seeds / sombu – 3/4 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- poppy seeds / kush kush – 1/2 tsp
- fried gram / pottu kadalai – 1 tsp
- cashew nuts – 4 number (can be substituted by almonds)
- grated ciconut / thuruviya thengai – 1/2 cup
- black pepper / milagu – 5 number
- fennel seeds / sombu – 1/4 tsp
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
1. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan and add red chillies. When it splutters add fennel seeds, cumin seeds, fried gram, poppy seeds, cashews (oralmonds) and fry.
2. Switch off the stove and add grated coconut. Mix well, cool down to room temperature.
3. Grind it to a fine paste after cooling in a mixie and keep it ready.
4. Again heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan. Add black pepper and fennel seeds. When it splutters add curry leaves.
5. Now add chopped garlic and sauté for few minutes.
6. Next add chopped pearl onions and sauté till it turns pale.
7. Now add chopped tomatoes and sauté till it becomes mushy.
8. Add half a cup of water along with turmeric powder, close and cook in medium flame for 5 minutes. Now all veggies will be cooked well and becomes soft.
9. When garlic becomes soft add the ground paste along with required salt. Keep in low flame for 3 more minutes.
10. Finally when you get the required consistency switch off the stove.
11. Garnish with one tsp of ghee and serve as side dish for idli, dosa or chapathi.