Malabar fish fry | மலபார் மீன் வறுவல் was a delicious non vegetarian recipe prepared along the Malabar coast in India. Fishes are the main source of proteins to the non vegetarians. It is an easy to prepare recipe for the bachelors and family members too because it needs very less time.
Any type of fish can be used to prepare this recipe. Fishes should be marinated in advance and the cooking time is very less. So, you can marinate it and go out or do some other work and cook before your meals. It will be crispy, healthy and tasty too.
- Fish – 1 kg
- chilly powder – 2 tsp
- ginger garlic/ inji Poondu paste – 1 tsp
- cumin/ seeraga powder – 1 tsp
- channa dal powder/ kadalai maavu – 1 tsp
- pepper/ Milagu powder – 1/2 tsp
- cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
- salt – 1 tsp
- lemon juice – 2 tsp
1. Clean and wash fish. The pieces can be of medium size, not very thin or thick.
2. Mix all the above ingredients into a paste adding lemon juice and water.
3. Put the fish pieces in the mixed masala paste and mix well. Take care that the masala was applied throughout the fish pieces and fish pieces were covered completely. Marinate the pieces with masala paste for one hour.
4. After one hour add 3 or 4 tblsp of oil in pan and deep fry the fish pieces. When one side changes to golden brown, turn the other side and fry for one more minute, till the other side also turns golden brown. Usually fish will be cooked very soon. One minute for each side and so it will be done in two minutes.
5. Serve hot along tomato sauce, lemons and onion pieces. This can be consumed as a side dish for rice or as starter.