Fennel leaves Coconut chutney recipe | Sombu Thengai thuvaiyal is prepared from the herb fennel leaves which are green and fresh with numerous health benefits. Here we add grated coconut, green chillies, spices, tamarind and salt along with fennel leaves.
Many of us do not know how to use all vegetables and greens available in the market. Fennel leaves sold along with all other greens can be used to make thuviyal which can be used as side dish for idli or dosa.
- Fennel leaves – 1 bunch (cleaned and chopped)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal/ ukundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/ perungaayam – 1/4 tsp
- Red chillies/ vara milagai – 4 to 5 number
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Coconut – 1 cup (grated)
- tamarind/ puzhi paste – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil in pan. Add mustard seeds, when it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden yellow, add asafoetida, chillies, onion, tomato, fennel leaves and fry for few minutes till the vegetables turns colour.
2. Now add fresh grated coconut, sauté for one minute and switch off stove. Cool down to room temperature. I usually keep it under fan, if I need to grind quickly. Add salt and tamarind.
3. Cool down and grind into a fine paste all together using required water, according to your required consistency. Serve as side dish along with idli or dosa.
Other related chutney recipes in my blog are as follows