Ennai Kathirikaai kuzhambu | Brinjal curry recipe (Chettinad) was a delicious puzhi kuzhambu in Chettinad. Ennai is the Tamil word for oil and here in this recipe we use gingelly oil. For preparing this “Ennai katharikaai kuzhambu|Brinjal curry recipe (Chettinad) you should select smaller and equal sized brinjals, because the brinjals were cooked in full. Now let’s see about the recipe.
Preparation Time:- 30 minutes
To Serve:- 4 persons
A short video link for the recipe:-
Ennai Kathirikaai Kuzhambu recipe – Ingredients:-
- Small sized brinjals – 10
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Garlic – 10 pods
- Coconut milk – 1 cup ( instead you can also use a paste of coconut fennel seeds, cumin seeds and poppy seeds)
- Sambar powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind pulp – 2 tsp
- To temper
- Mustard seeds
- Urad dal
- Cumin seeds
- Fennel seeds
- Fenugreek seeds
- Hing 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Coriander – for garnishing
- Gingely Oil -2 tblsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
Ennai Kathirikaai Kuzhambu recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly remove the stalk portion of the brinjals and divide on both the sides with two lines as shown in the photo below. If the stalk portions are soft and fresh you can use along with it. I got harder ones with thorns in it and so I removed it. Also check for any insects inside as it is used in full size.
2. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add onion (pearl onions preferred) and garlic and sauté for few minutes.
3. Further add tomatoes and sauté for one more minute.
4. Now add the brinjals and sauté for 2-3 minutes till you get light brown colour on sides.
5. Then add 1 cup of water, close lid and cook in medium flame for 5 minutes till the brinjals get cooked well.
6. Now add, sambar powder, turmeric powder, tamarind pulp and salt. Mix well. Close lid and cook for 2 minutes. Add coconut milk and cook again for 2 minutes.
7. Transfer the kuzhambu into a bowl. Heat gingely oil in a pan, add all the spices mentioned above under tempering and when it splutters add curry leaves and switch off the stove.
8. Finally pour it to the kuzhambu, and top it with coriander. Serve as side dish with rice.