Ellu Sadham | Sesame rice recipe | Variety rice is prepared with rice, sesame seeds called as “ellu” in tamil, red chillies and salt. Sesame oil (nal ennai) is widely used in India and cultivated as an oil crop. Sesame seeds are commonly sprinkled on top of buns and breads. Sesame / ellu is also found in salads and snacks. A snacks, prepared with jaggery and sesame seeds is very popular. It’s botanical name is Sesamum indicum. We can use either black or white sesame seeds to prepare this dish. I have used black sesame seeds which gives a different colour to the dish.
You may also like
Now let us see how to prepare ellu sadham.
Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- rice – 1 cup (cooked)
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1 tsp
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- ghee / nei – 1 tblsp
- salt – to taste
- sesame seeds / ellu – 1 tblsp (black seeds preferred)
- oil – 1 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- red chillies / vara milagai – 4 number
- grated coconut / thengai thuruval – 1 tblsp
- asafoetida/ perungayam – pinch
1. Dry roast sesame seeds in a fry pan. When it splutters transfer it to a bowl and keep aside.
2. In the same pan heat one tsp of oil and roast red chillies, urad dal, grated coconut and asafoetida till it turns brown.
3. Grind it into a coarse powder along with roasted sesame seeds.
4. Mean while cook rice. Cooking white rice.
5. Heat ghee in a fry pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add curry leaves and switch off the stove.
6. Add this seasoning, ground sesame powder and salt to cooked rice.
7. Mix well without breaking rice. Serve along with desired side dish.