Drumstick leaves | Murungai Keerai kootu recipe is a Chettinad cuisine which can be prepared as side dish for idli, dosai or rice. We get the tastes of both moong dal and coconut milk together with healthy murungai Keerai. Try this recipe once and your family members will love it’s taste. This recipe may come to your mind when ever you buy murungai Keerai from now. Prepare this tasty recipe following these easy steps.
To know the health benefits of drumstick leaves click on https://www.facebook.com/poongodi.r.kitchen/videos/1782964311737316/
Murungai Keerai is rich in calcium, iron, vitamins and minerals.
A short video link for the recipe:-
Murungai Keerai kootu recipe – Ingredients:-
- drumstick/murungai Keerai – 1 bundle (2cups)
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- cooked toor dal – 3/4 cup
- coconut milk – 1 cup
- red chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
Murungai Keerai kootu recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- red chilly – 1
Murungai Keerai kootu recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly cook toor dal in a pressure cooker or open container. adding water. When the dal is cooked well and starts to open you can switch off the stove. If it is in a pressure cooker stop as soon as you get a whistle.
2. Meanwhile extract a thick coconut milk from 1/2 a coconut to get 1 cup of milk.
3. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden, add split red chilly followed by chopped onion.
4. When onion turns pale, add drumstick / murungai Keerai and sauté for few minutes. Now add water (you can use dal cooked water) and close with a lid.
5. When Keerai was well cooked, add red chilly powder and salt.
6. Further when raw smell of chilly powder goes, add cooked toor dal.
7. Mix well and finally before switching off the stove, add coconut milk.
8. Prepare this kootu thick or little watery according to your needed consistency. This can be served as side dish for idli, dosa, rice or chapathi.
For more drumstick recipes in my website click on the links below