drumstick leaves powder recipe | murungai keerai podi is a healthy podi prepared with dried drumstick leaves, channa dal, urad dal, cumin seeds, red chillies, asafoetida and salt. This podi is served with gingely oil or ghee along with rice, dosa and idli. However you can prepare this podi when you get drumstick leaves in abundant from your garden.
Botanical name for Murungai keerai is “Moringa olifera”
Drumstick is the most widely cultivated species of the genus Moringa, which is the only genus in the family Moringaceae. Find more details about the tree in drumstick Wikipedia.
Coming to the health benefits they increases appetite, heals wounds inside the stomach, helps to reduce headache, diarrhea, purifying blood, excretes toxins out of the body and it should consumed twice a week to maintain better health.
We have already prepared few dishes using drumstick leaves such as
drumstick leaves powder recipe – Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- murungai keerai / drumstick leaves – 2 cups
- red chillies / vara milagai – 12 to 15 number
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 2 tsps
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 2 tsps
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungayam – pinch
- salt / uppu – 1 tsp
drumstick leaves powder recipe – Method:-
1. First of all wash and remove drumstick leaves from the stem. Dry them overnight by spreading it in a news paper or a towel.
2. Secondly dry roast all the other ingredients one by one in a fry pan and as a result of which channa dal and urad dal should turn golden and cumin seeds should give a nice flavour.
3. After that dry roast drumstick leaves slightly without burning.
4. Finally grind all the roasted ingredients along with roasted drumstick leaves.