drumstick leaves powder recipe | murungai keerai podi is a healthy podi prepared with dried drumstick leaves, channa dal, urad dal, cumin seeds, red chillies, asafoetida and salt. This podi is served with gingelly oil or ghee for rice, dosa and idli. You can prepare this podi when you get it in abundant from garden. Botanical name for Murungai keerai is Moringa oleifera
It is the most widely cultivated species of the genus Moringa, which is the only genus in the family Moringaceae. More details about the tree is in drumstick Wikipedia.
Drumstick – Health Benefits
1. Drumstick increases appetite.
2. It heals the wounds inside the stomach.
3. Helps to reduce headache and blood diarrhea.
4. It purifies blood and excretes toxins out of the body.
5. It should be taken twice a week to maintain better health.
Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- murungai keerai / drumstick leaves – 2 cups
- red chillies / vara milagai – 12 to 15 number
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 2 tsps
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 2 tsps
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungayam – pinch
- salt / uppu – 1 tsp
1. Wash and remove drumstick leaves from the stem. Dry them overnight by spreading it in a news paper or a towel.
2. Dry roast all the other ingredients one by one. Channa dal and urad dal should turn golden. Cumin seeds should give a nice flavour.
3. Dry roast drumstick leaves slightly without burning.
4. Grind all the roasted ingredients along with roasted Murungai keerai.