Drumstick leaf | murungai Keerai sambar is a side dish for rice prepared with Murungai keerai, toor dal, sambar powder, tamarind, salt, onion and tomato.
Botanical name: Moringa oleifera
Moringa leaves called as murungai Keerai in tamil is rich in calcium, iron, Vitamins and Minerals. This healthy sambar can be used as side dish for rice, idli or dosa.
- drumstick leaves/murungai Keerai – 1 bunch
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- garlic/ poondu – 3-4 (chopped)
- Sambar powder – 1 tspÂ Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe
- tamarind paste/ puzhi – 1 tspÂ Tamarind Paste Preparation | Puzhi | à®ªà¯à®³à®¿ à®ªà¯à®¸à¯à®à¯
- salt – to taste
- toor dal – 1 cup (cooked)
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- pepper – 3
- cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- asafoetida – pinch
1. Cook toor dal in a pressure cooker with enough and collect one cup
2. Heat oil in a pan, add the ingredients under seasoning and when it splutters add onion, garlic and tomatoes. SautÃ© for few minutes.
3. Add drumstick leaves/murungai Keerai and sautÃ©.
4. Add enough water, close and cook for few minutes.
5. When Keerai gets cooked well and you get a good flavour add sambar powder, tamarind paste and salt. Leave it to boil for few minutes till the raw smell of sambar powder leaves.
6 Now add cooked toor dal and mix well.
7. Check for taste and add water if you need it thin. Switch off the stove when it becomes thick.
8. Serve as side dish for rice, idli or dosa.
For other recipes with Murungai keerai in my website click on the links below