Murungai keerai sambar recipe is a healthy side dish for rice prepared with Murungai keerai, toor dal, sambar powder, tamarind, salt, onion and tomato.
Botanical name: Moringa oleifera
Moringa leaves called as murungai Keerai in tamil is rich in calcium, iron, Vitamins and Minerals. This healthy sambar can be used as side dish for rice, idli or dosa.
A short video link for the recipe:-
Murungai keerai sambar recipe – Ingredients:-
- drumstick leaves/murungai Keerai – 1 bunch
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- garlic/ poondu – 3-4 (chopped)
- sambar powder – 1 tsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tsp
- salt – to taste
- cooked toor dal – 1 cup
Murungai keerai sambar recipe – Ingredients for seasoning:-
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1/2 tsp
- pepper / milagu – 3 number
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1/4 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
Murungai keerai sambar recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly cook toor dal in a pressure cooker with enough water, 1/4 tea spoon of turmeric powder a drop of oil and take one cup.
2. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add the ingredients under seasoning and when it splutters add onion, garlic and tomatoes. Sauté for few minutes.
3. Thirdly add drumstick leaves / murungai Keerai and sauté.
4. Further add enough water, close and cook for few minutes.
5. When Keerai gets cooked well and you get a good flavour add sambar powder, tamarind paste and salt. Leave it to boil for few minutes till the raw smell of sambar powder leaves.
6 Finally add cooked toor dal and mix well.
7. Check for taste and add water if you need it thin. Switch off the stove when it becomes thick.
8. Serve as side dish for rice, idli or dosa.
For other recipes with Murungai keerai in my website click on the links below