drumstick leaf chutney recipe | murungai keerai thuvaiyal is a tasty side dish for idli, dosa or rice prepared with healthy drumstick leaves, pearl onions, garlic cloves, green chillies, red chillies, coconut, tamarind and salt. Drumstick leaves , are very healthy which is rich in calcium and iron. We have already prepared few dishes with drumstick such as drumstick leaves sambar, Drumstick leaves vadai , Drumstick leaves Kootu , Drumstick leaves Poriyal , Drumstick Sambar , Chettinad kaaikari Mandi and Drumstick stem soup
- drumstick leaves / murungai keerai – 2 cup
- urad dal / ulundham Paruppu – 1 tsp
- pearl onions / sambar onions – 10 number
- garlic cloves / poondu pal – 19 number
- green chillies – 3 number
- red chillies – 3 number
- grated coconut – 3 tsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- salt – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- sesame seeds / til / ellu – 1 tsp
- asafoetuda / perungayam – pinch
1. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan and add urad dal.
2. When it turns golden add green and red chillies.
3. When it is fried well add pearl onions and sauté.
4. When pearl onions turns pale add garlic cloves and sauté.
5. When garlic becomes soft add drumstick leaves and fry well.
6. When it is fried completely and drumstick leaves shrink add grated coconut.
7. Sauté once and switch off the stove. Cool down the fried ingredients to room temperature. Transfer to a mixie jar along with tamarind paste and salt.
8. Transfer it to a bowl. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and sesame seeds / ellu and when it splutters pour the tempering into the chutney.
9. Mix well and serve as side dish for idli, dosa or rice.