Double Beans puzhi kuzhambu | Dry beans gravy is a puzhi Kuzhambu prepared from double beans, pearl onions, garlic cloves, tomato, red chilly powder, coriander powder, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, Kush Kush, grated coconut, turmeric powder, tamarind and salt.
Fresh raw double beans is available in Chennai markets. But here in Mumbai I do not get it. But we can get dry double beans in super markets, which should be soaked in water overnight before using. This is a very tasty kuzhambu that can be used as side dish for idli, dosa or rice. It is very easy to prepare if you follow the steps given below carefully.
- double beans – 1 cup (if dry beans soak in water overnight)
- pearl onions – 10 number
- garlic cloves/ poondu – 10 number
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- curry leaves – few
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind paste – 1 tsp
- salt – to taste
- red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- coriander powder – 1 tsp
- fennel seeds/ sombu – 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds/ seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- Poppy seeds/ kush kush – 1/4 tsp
- grated coconut – 2 tblsp
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- fennel seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and pepper corns – pinch
- for garnishing – 1 tsp of ghee
1. If you were using a dry double beans soak it in water over night and cook in a pressure cooker for five minutes in low flame after you get a whistle. If it is raw you can cook at once. Once pressure is released open and keep aside.
2. Chop onions, garlic and tomatoes.
3. Grind the spices given under ‘To grind’ into a fine paste in a mixie.
4. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan. Add all the ingredients under seasoning and wait to splutter.
5. Now add chopped pearl onions, garlic cloves, tomato and curry leaves. Fry for a few minutes.
6. When it starts sticking to the pan, add a cup of water with 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder. Close and cook for 2-3 minutes.
7. When it is well cooked and becomes soft, add the ground masala mix along with tamarind and salt.
8. Mix well and add cooked double beans to the kuzhambu. Add water according to your needed consistency. Close and cook in low flame for 5 minutes till raw smell goes and beans sucks the taste of salt and spices.
9. Transfer to as serving bowl, garnish with a tsp of ghee to get a good taste and flavour.
Other recipe with double beans in my website Double beans masala recipe