Curry leaf chutney recipe is a daily used ingredient in South Indian recipes which gives a good flavour. Curry leaf is a natural flavouring agent which makes our food healthy and tasty. It is rich in fibre, calcium, iron, magnesium, minerals and vitamins. Curry leaves helps to lower cholesterol level, stops diarrhoea, fights against cancer. It is good for hair growth and beneficial for eyesight. Top health benefits of Curry leaves.
Curry leaves plays an important role in strengthening hair roots. Dry curry leaf powder mixed in oil can be applied to your hair with a quick massage. The paste from curry leaves can also be applied in cases of grey hair. Now we will prepare a tasty kuzhambu (chutney) with it following these easy steps with photos.
A short video link for the recipe:-
Curry leaf chutney recipe – Ingredients:-
- Curry leaves – 1 bunch (cups)
- bengal gram dal / kadalai paruppu – 1 tblsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tblsp
- black pepper / milagu – 1 tblsp
- red chilly – 1
- coriander seeds / malli – 1 tblsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tblsp (or juice extracted from lemon size tamarind)
- salt / uppu – to taste
Curry leaf chutney recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- gingelly oil / nallennai – 1tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungaayam – pinch
- fenugreek seeds / vendhayam – 1/4 tsp
- sesame seeds / ellu / til – 1 tsp (white sesame is preferred)
Curry leaf chutney recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add channa dal, urad dal, black pepper, red chilly and when it turns golden brown add coriander seeds and fry.
2. Switch off the stove and fry curry leaves in the remaining heat of the fry pan.
3. Secondly cool down the fried ingredients to room temperature, add salt and tamarind and grind to a fine paste.
4. Further heat one tea spoon of gingely oil and add mustard seeds, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds and sesame seeds. When it splutters switch off the stove. Finally pour in the ground Kuzhambu. You might have seen sesame seeds sprinkled on top of pizza’s and some buns. It improves the taste and flavour of the dish which is also healthy. Here we use it for seasoning.
other recipes with curry leaves are