Coriander stem Coconut thuvaiyal | Kothamalli Kambu thuvaiyal is a side dish for idli, dosa and sandwiches prepared with the stems of coriander, grated coconut, green chillies, tamarind and salt. Health benefits of Cilantro – Coriander has numerous health benefits which is the same in the stems too.
Thuvaiyal is the same as that of a chutney but little thick in consistency, used as side dish for idli, dosa, rice and sandwiches.
- coriander stems – 2 cup (chopped)
- coconut – 1/2 cup (grated)
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- green chillies – 4-5 number
- garlic cloves / poondu – 5 number
- tamarind paste – 1/2 tsp Tamarind Paste preparation
- salt – to taste
1. Wash and chop coriander stem into 2-3 inch pieces. Grate coconut and keep it ready. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden add asafoetida, green chillies (cut into two) and garlic cloves.
2. Next add chopped coriander stems and sauté for few minutes.
3. Switch off the stove and add grated coconut. Mix well and cool to room temperature.
4. Once it cools to room temperature, transfer to a mixie along with tamarind paste and salt.
5. Grid into a finepaste without adding too much of water.
For more thuvaiyal recipes in my website click on the following links