Cooking toor dal is very simple if you follow these steps. We use cooked toor dal in many South Indian recipes and every one should know the basic method to cook toor dal according to its need in the dishes. In few dishes we need it in full and in dishes like soups it should be cooked well so that it can be mashed easily. We use cooked toor dal in many recipes such as Murungaikkai Sambar, Pudalangaai Poriyal , Chettinad Breakfast, Bisi bela bath, Chettinad Muttaikose thuvattal and Chettinad Vendaikkai Pachadi. Now let us see how to cook toor dal. I have given the easy steps with photos.
- toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1 cup
- water – as needed
- turmeric powder / manjal thool – pinch
- oil – few drops
Cooking toor dal in pressure cooker:-
1. Take one cup of toor dal. Add enough water (around 2 cups) Add a pinch of turmeric powder and few drops of oil.
2. Close and cook for one whistle. Once when pressure is released, open the cooker and remove cooked toor dal. If you need toor dal to add in any soup, you can leave it for two or more whistles, so that it will be easy to mash and use for soups. Example Chettinad Cauliflower soup.
3. Transfer to a cup and use for your dish.
Cooking toor dal in an open pan:-
1. Boil water and put toor dal in an open pan. Keep it in low flame for ten minutes. Check it inbetween and you can stop cooking when it reaches your needed stage.
2. Drain excess water through a filter and separate cooked toor dal to use it in various dishes.