“Coconut thuvaiyal recipe | Thengai thuvaiyal – prepared as side dish for Super soft delicious Idli or Crispy Rice Dosa or white rice The main ingredients are fresh coconut, chillies, tamarind and salt. Now let us see how to prepare this easy thuvaiyal by following the below method. Coconuts have numerous health benefits which you can see in the link – Health benefits of coconut
- fresh coconut – 1 cup (grated)
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- green chillies – 4-5 number (chopped into two)
- red chilly – 1 number
- curry lraves – few (optional)
- tamarind paste – 1 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- salt – to taste
1. Grate coconut, chop chillies and keep it ready. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan. Addmustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden brown, add asafoetida.
2. When asafoetida pops add green chillies, red chilly and curry leaves (if you were using) Next add grated coconut and mix well.switch off the stove.Let it cool for few minutes.
3. Now transfer the fried ingredients to a mixie jar. Add tamarind paste and salt.
4. Grind it into a fine paste. Do not add more of water like chutney. Thuvaiyal should be thicker than a chutney.
5. Transfer it to a serving bowl and serve as side dish for idli, dosa or rice.
For more thuvaiyal recipes in my website click on the below links