Coconut milk preparation | thengai paal will be useful to prepare coconut milk which often used in our daily cooking. We need coconut milk for many recipes such as appam, biriyani and few kuzhambu items, and we can prepare it easily at home. This coconut milk should be used on the same day itself. Refrigerating it and using coconut milk is not recommended. We use coconut milk in many dishes such as Kerala Appam, Vegetable biriyani with Coconut milk , Chicken Biriyani with Coconut milk, Mushroom coconut milk curry, Fish Coconut milk Kuzhambu and Paal kolukattai.
Coconuts are known for their versatility ranging from food to cosmetics. They form a regular part of the diets of many people in the tropics and subtropics. Coconuts are distinct from other fruits for their endosperm containing a large quantity of water (also called “milk”), and when immature, may be harvested for the potable coconut water. When mature, they can be used as seed nuts or processed for oil, charcoal from the hard shell, and coir from the fibrous husk. When dried, the coconut flesh is called copra. The oil and milk derived from it are commonly used in cooking and frying, as well as in soaps and cosmetics. The husks and leaves can be used as material to make a variety of products for furnishing and decorating. The coconut also has cultural and religious significance in certain societies, particularly in India, where it is used in Hindu rituals. You can get more details through the link – Coconut Wikipedia.
- coconut – 1 cup (it can be a grated one or cut into pieces)
- water as needed
1. Take one cup of grated coconut.
2. Put it in a mixie jar and grind once.
3. Add little water and grind again to get a fine paste.
4. Pour it in a filter. I have used a muslin cloth above a filter to get thin milk without granules.
5. You can also rinse the mixie jar and filter that water too.
6. Press it using a spoon to extract milk completely. Remove the husk of grated coconut.
7. Now coconut milk will be collected in the bowl below. This can be used for various other purposes. You can add sugar or honey and consume as it is when fresh. It cures mouth and stomach ulcers.