Chettinad Vathal Mandi recipe | வத்தல் மண்டி is one of the tastiest side dish in Chettinad weddings. Also know about Chettinad cuisine. This is known as Vathal Mandi because it is prepared using all dried vegetables, which is called as “Vathal” in Tamil. This mandi can be prepared watery to use as side dish for Idli or dosa and little thicker in consistency to have it with curd rice. Chettinad Mandi can be prepared using fresh vegetables or with vathals. Vathal Mandi can be prepared when we do not have fresh vegetables at home or for its delicious taste.
The vathals used here are mango/maangai, brinjal/katharikaai, broad beans/avarai kaai, chillies/milagaai and cow peas/thattai payaru. We can also use other dry vegetables like cluster beans, long beans, lady’s finger etc. But cow peas and mango/maangai Vathal is a must because it adds taste to the recipe.
Chettinad Vathal Mandi recipe – Ingredients:-
- kathari vathal – handful
- avarai vathal – handful Avarai vathal preparation
- maangai vathal – handful Maavathal preparation
- milagaai vathal – 4 pieces
- Cow peas/thattai payaru – 1 cup (soaked in water over night)
- sambar onions / pearl onions – 10 number
- garlic cloves / poondu pal – 10 number
- arisi mandi – 1 cup (wash rice and collect water)
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- sambar powder – 1/2 tsp Sambar Powder preparation
- tamarind juice – lemon size (juice extracted) Tamarind Paste Preparation
- salt – to taste
Chettinad Vathal Mandi recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – few
Chettinad Vathal Mandi recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly soak cow peas in water over night or for 8-10 hours. Secondly cook cow peas in a pressure cooker for 5 minutes after you get a whistle in medium flame.
2. Thirdly wash and soak kathiri, avarai, milagaai and maangai vathal in hot water.
3. Further heat oil in a fry pan, add mustard seeds and when it pops up add urad dal. When it turns golden add curry leaves, onion and garlic and sauté for few minutes.
4. Now add little water and cook for 2 minutes. Add all vathals soaked in hot water along with water and arisi mandi.
5. Further add turmeric powder, sambar powder, tamarind juice and salt. Keep in low flame for 2 more minutes.
6. Finally switch off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve as side dish for idli, dosa or rice.
7. For other mandi recipes in my website click on the below links