Chettinad thavalai vadai recipe is prepared with all types of dals, rice, red chillies, chopped onion, coriander and curry leaves. This vadai is a popular recipe in Chettinad cuisine and we usually prepare this vadai on the next day of the marriage. This vadai seems like a frog which is called as “thavalai” in tamil and therefore the name was given. You can prepare this vadai as evening snacks along with tea or for breakfast. We have already prepared so many types of vadai’s such as
Now let us see how to prepare this thavalai vadai.
Video link for the recipe:-
Chettinad thavalai vadai recipe – Ingredients:-
- toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 4 tblsp
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 4 tblsp
- boild rice / puzhungal arisi – 4 tblsp
- raw rice / pacharisi – 2 tblsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 2 tblsp
- moong dal / paasi paruppu – 2 tblsp
- sabudana / javvarisi – 2 tblsp
- onion – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- grated coconut – 2 tblsp
- red chillies / vara milagai – 5 number
- coriander / kothamalli – 2 tblsp (chopped)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – 2 tblsp (chopped)
- fennel seeds / sombu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- salt – to taste
Chettinad thavalai vadai recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly soak all the six ingredients namely, toor dal, Channa dal, boiled rice, raw rice, urad dal and moong dal together in a bowl.
2. Soak Sabudana separately in a cup. We will not grind this but we will add this soaked Sabudana as it is.
3. After two hours grind red chillies and fennel seeds along with asafoetida and salt coarsly without adding water.
4. Then add the soaked six ingredients to it and again grind coarsly and transfer to a bowl.
5. After that add chopped onion, coriander and curry leaves and mix well to make a loose batter. We will prepare this vadai by pouring with a ladle and so the batter should be little watery.
6. Finally heat required oil for deep frying. Once when oil is hot keep the flame in medium and pour one spoon of batter. I have shown the spoon which I used in the photo below.
7. Likewise make vadas one by one and fry for two minutes. Once when they were fried on one side turn the other side and fry to golden orange.
8. When both the sides were fried evenly take it out and keep in a tissue paper to remove excess of oil. Serve this crispy yummy thavalai vadai along with tea.