Chettinad Thattapayathangai Masala recipe is prepared using thattapayathangai along with chopped onion and tomato. Grated coconut, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, poppy seeds and salt were also added. Other names are yard long beans are chawli, cow pea beans, lobia and karamani. You can also read the health benefits of yard long beans before cooking this recipe.
Botanical name is Vigna unguiculata and sub species is sesquipedalis
Related links are as follows:-
Chettinad Thattapayathangai Masala recipe – Ingredients:-
- thattapayathangai / karamani – 1/4 kg
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1 tsp
- Curry masala powder – 1/4 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
Chettinad Thattapayathangai Masala recipe – Ingrediets to grind:-
- grated coconut – 2 tsp
- fennel seeds / sombu – 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1/4 tsp
- poppy seeds / kasa kasa – 1/4 tsp
- cashew nuts / mundhiri paruppu – 2 number
Chettinad Thattapayathangai Masala recipe – Ingredients for seasoning:-
- oil – 1 tsp
- pepper corns / milagu – 5 to 6 number
- fennel seeds / sombu – 1/4 tsp
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
Chettinad Thattapayathangai Masala recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add fennel seeds and pepper corns. When they splutter add chopped onion and curry leaves.
2. Secondly add chopped tomatoes and sauté for few minutes.
3. After that when onion turns pale and tomatoes becomes soft, add chopped yardlong beans and sauté for few minutes.
4. When the yardlong beans shrinks and turns colour, add half a cup of water. Close and cook for five minutes in low flame.
5. When yardlong beans were cooked well and becomes soft, add red chilly powder and turmeric powder. Similarly add curry masala powder and required salt. Further mix well and stir till raw smell leaves the pan.
6. Finally add ground coconut and sauté for few more minutes without breaking the beans. If the masala is thick add two tea spoons of water and mix well.
7. Keep in low flame for few more minutes till all the ingredients merge well and gives good taste and flavour.