Chettinad Sweet Seeyam recipe | Chettinad Snacks is a traditional chettinad cuisine , and it is a royal serve during Chettinad weddings. We have prepared few chettinad snacks such as
A sweet mix will be covered with a vada, and you will be wondering how come a sweet inside a vada if you do not know the method of preparation. This is called as sweet seeyam, because there is another dish in Chettinad called as masala seeyam. Try out this interesting recipe and enjoy the taste of Chettinad cuisine and cooking.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
To serve: 6 persons
A short video link for the recipe:-
Chettinad Sweet Seeyam recipe – Ingredients:-
For preparing vada:- (200 ml cup used)
- raw rice – 1 cup
- urad dal – 1 cup
- salt – 1 tsp
Ingredients for preparing the sweet inside:-
- grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- moong dal / pasi paruppu – 1/2 cup
- jaggery / vellam – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- oil – for deep frying
Chettinad Sweet Seeyam recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Wash and soak raw rice and urad dal together in water for 2 hours.
2. To prepare the sweet, cook moong dal well adding water in an open pan and stop when dal starts to break. (It should be whole and well cooked)
3. Dry roast the grated coconut in a pan.
4. When it turns brown add jaggery.
5. When jaggery melts completely add cooked moong dal and cardamom powder and stir continuously till the ingredients becomes thick.
6. Cool to room temperature and make round balls out of it as shown in the photo below.
5. Grind the soaked rice and dal smoothly in a wet grinder adding salt. Let the batter be little thick. Add little water if needed but not too much.
6. Further dip the sweet filling balls in the batter as shown in the photo below. Now the sweet balls will be coated with batter. Take care the sweet ball should be covered with the vada batter on all sides and it should not break.
7. Finally deep fry the balls coated with batter in oil in a medium or low flame.
8. Turn the sides and when it turns golden colour on all sides, remove from oil and serve hot.