Chettinad Sweet Cheeyam recipe | Chettinad Snacks is a traditional chettinad cuisine , and it is a royal serve during Chettinad weddings. We have prepared few chettinad snacks such as
Cheeyam will be covered with a vada, and you will be wondering how come a sweet inside a vada if you do not know the method of preparation. This is also called as sweet cheeyam, because there was another dish in Chettinad called as masala cheeyam. Try out this interesting recipe and enjoy the taste of Chettinad cuisine and cooking.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
To serve: 6 persons
Chettinad Sweet Cheeyam recipe – Ingredients:-
For preparing vada:- (200 ml cup used)
- raw rice – 1 cup
- urad dal – 1 cup
- sugar – 2 tsps
Ingredients for preparing the sweet inside:-
- grated coconut – 1 cup
- moong dal/ pasi paruppu – 1 cup
- jaggery/ vellam – 2 cup
- oil – for deep frying
Chettinad Sweet Cheeyam recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Wash and soak raw rice and urad dal together in water for 2 hours.
2. To prepare the sweet, cook moong dal well adding water in an open pan and stop when dal starts to break. (It should be whole and well cooked)
3. Dry roast the grated coconut in a pan and when it turns brown add jaggery and cooked moong dal and stir continuously till jaggery melts and it becomes thick.
4. Cool to room temperature and make round balls out of it as shown in the photo below.
5. Grind the soaked rice and dal smoothly in a wet grinder adding sugar. Let the batter be little thick. Add little water if needed but not too much.
6. Dip the sweet balls in the batter as shown in the photo. Now the sweet balls will be coated with batter. Take care the sweet ball should be covered with the vada batter on all sides and it should not break.
7. Deep fry the balls coated with batter in oil in a medium or low flame.(as we have added sugar it turns brown quickly)
8. Turn the sides and when it turns golden colour on all sides, remove from oil and serve hot.