Chettinad Sweet Aadikool recipe | Kumayam recipe comes under the chettinad cuisine. This aadikool was prepared from urad dal flour. For preparing this flour, urad dal should be lightly dry roasted in a pan. When the dal is hot, and nice flavour arise, switch off the stove. Cool down to room temperature, and grind it in a rice mill. This flour can be used for making murukku as well as this aadikool which is also called as kumayam.
In chettinad aadikool will be served as evening snacks during marriages. Aadikool can also be served as side dish with breakfast and dinner. If you have this flour at home, aadikool can be prepared instantly within 10 minutes, when you get guests.
Preparation Time:- 20 minutes
To Serve:- 2
A short video for the recipe:-
- Urad dal flour / ulundha maavu – 1/2 cup
- Ghee / nei – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery / vellam – 3/4 cup
- Water – 2 cups
Chettinad Sweet Aadikool recipe – Method:-
1. Dry roast one kilo of urad dal lightly till you get a nice aroma. Allow it to cool to room temperature and grind it into a fine powder in a rice mill. Sieve the flour and store it in a container. If needed for more than three months you can refrigerate it and store. Take 1/2 cup of this powder for preparing the dish.
2. Add 3/4 cup of jaggery in 2 cups of water in a pan and start to cook until the jaggery dissolves completely. Keep it in low flame.
3. Heat 1/2 a cup of ghee in another pan.
4. Add urad dal flour and cook for few minutes in ghee without forming lumps.
5. Now filter the jaggery syrup into flour and mix well without forming lumps.
6. Cook for few minutes, until it starts to leave the pan.
7. Transfer aadikool to the serving bowl and serve hot with roasted cashews or cherry topping.