Chettinad Sundaikkai Pachadi with the fruits of Solanum torvum plant is a popular side dish for rice prepared in Chettinad. Almost all houses have this Solanum torvum plant in their gardens in chettinad and this dish is common there. We prepare this curry with sundaikkai, onion, tomato, toor dal, sambar powder, tamarind and salt.
Botanical name is Solanum torvum
Other names are turkey berry, prickly nightshade, shoo-shoo bush, wild eggplant, pea eggplant, susumber and sundaikkai in tamil.
The medicinal uses of sundaikkai are numerous
1. It is traditionally used for treating intestinal worms.
2. Good for diabetes
3. For indigestion, gastritis and stomach ache
4. Treats cold and cough
5. To treat anemia.
We have already prepared few chettinad side dishes such as
Know more about Chettinad cuisine before cooking this recipe.
Chettinad Sundaikkai Pachadi – Ingredients:- (200ml cup used)
- sundaikkai – 1 cup
- toor dal – 1/2 cup (cooked)
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- coriander powder – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind juice – lemon size
- salt – to taste
Chettinad Sundaikkai Pachadi – Method:-
1. Firstly chop sundaikkai into two halves and make a slit in between as shown in the photo below.
2. Similarly chop all sundaikkai and put it in water. You can also add little butter milk to water so that the vegetable will not change colour.
3. On the other hand chop onion and tomato and keep it ready. Here I have used raw tomato which is green in colour.
4. Secondly heat oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal.
5. When urad dal turns golden add chopped onion and sauté.
6. Then add chopped tomatoes and sauté till it becomes mushy.
7. Next add chopped sundaikkai and sauté for few minutes.
8. After that add one cup of water, close and cook for five minutes.
9. When sundaikkai gets cooked well and becomes soft add cooked toor dal, red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
10. Finally add tamarind juice or one tsp of tamarind Paste. Close and cook for two more minutes while the ingredients merge together and the pachadi becomes thick and reach your required consistency.
11. Now the dish is ready.
12. This sundaikkai pachadi can be served as side dish along with plain white rice.