Chettinad seedai | Seedaikkai recipe is a tasty evening snacks prepared at Chettinad with idli rice, fried gram, grated coconut, cumin seeds and salt. This is very simple to prepare if you follow the steps given carefully. This is one of the popular snacks of chettinad served to guests and also prepared during festivals. You may like other snacks such as
Kara Sev .
Ingredients:- 200 ml cup used
- idli rice – 4 cups
- fried gram / pottu kadalai – 1.5 cup
- grated coconut / thuruviya thengai – 1/2 cup
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- salt / uppu – to taste
- oil – for deep frying (coconut oil preferred)
1. Wash and soak idli rice in water for 2 hours. Grind it into a smooth batter in a wet grinder.
2. Grind fried gram in a mixie to a fine powder and sieve it to remove big unground particles.
3. Add rice batter, fried gram powder, grated coconut, cumin seeds and salt in a bowl. Mix well to make a smooth dough. Make small balls like or flatten it or lengthwise. Place it in a news paper or a plate.
4. Completely make such seedais with all the dough. Heat required oil in a fry pan. Put around one cup of seedai in oil and deep fry them in low or medium flame for around 10 to 15 minutes. Stir inbetween using a ladle. Do not put seedai one by one in oil.
5. When seedai is cooked completely oil will stop letting out bubbles and the sound stops. Now remove seedai from oil and drain oil completely. You can pour it in a filter and leave for 5 minutes. Now store it in an air tight container and use when ever needed. This is a good snacks to welcome and serve guests at any time.
6. This will be good for around 15 days.