Chettinad Seedaikkai recipe is a tasty crispy evening snacks prepared at Chettinad with idli rice, fried gram, grated coconut, cumin seeds and salt. This is very simple to prepare if you follow the steps given carefully. This is one of the popular snacks of chettinad served to guests and also prepared during festivals. You may like other snacks such as
Kara Sev .
- while deep frying the seedai, put seedai to full pan and if it is half pan, it will burst and it will be a mess.
Chettinad seedai recipe – Ingredients:- 200 ml cup used
- idli rice – 4 cups
- fried gram / pottu kadalai – 1.5 cup
- grated coconut / thuruviya thengai – 1/2 cup
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- salt / uppu – to taste
- oil – for deep frying (coconut oil preferred)
Chettinad seedai recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly wash and soak idli rice in water for 2 hours. After two hours grind it into a smooth batter in a wet grinder.
2. Mean while grind fried gram in a mixie to a fine powder and sieve it to remove big unground particles.
3. Secondly add ground rice batter, fried gram powder, grated coconut, cumin seeds and salt in a bowl and mix well to make a smooth dough. Make small balls like or flatten it or make it lengthwise. Place it in a news paper or a plate.
4. Completely make such seedais with all the dough. Heat required oil in a fry pan for deep frying. Put around one cup of seedai in oil so that there should not be any gap in oil while frying and deep fry them in low or medium flame for around 10 to 15 minutes. Stir inbetween using a ladle and do not put seedai one by one in oil.
5. Finally when seedai is cooked completely, oil will stop letting out bubbles and the sound stops. Now remove seedai from oil and drain oil completely. You can pour it in a filter and leave for 5 minutes so that oil will be drained. Now store it in an air tight container and use when ever needed. This is a good snacks to welcome and serve guests at any time.
6. This will be good for around 15 days.