Sambar powder is the basic ingredient used in South Indian cooking. Sambar is taken with rice, idli, Dosa and vada. We used to prepare Sambar at least twice in a week. So this is one of the essential ingredients in our kitchen. The main spices used in Sambar Powder are red chillies and coriander seeds which will be harvested and come to market in fresh during summer. More over everyone will be in holidays, and it’ll be easy to dry in hot sun and grind during summer and store for one year. It’ll be more economical and healthy if we prepare this Sambar powder at home, once in a year.
- Red Chillies -500gms
- Coriander Seeds – 500gms
- Toor Dal – handful
- Chana dal – handful
- Cumin Seeds – handful
- Raw rice – handful
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 tblsp
- Whole Black Pepper – handful
- Dried Turmeric Roots – handful (optional)
1. Cut the stalks from red chillies. (This is to protect from insects for a long time)
2. Dry red chillies and coriander seeds in hot sunlight for two days. (This is to retain colour)
3. Dry roast toor dal, channa dal, cumin seeds, raw rice, fenugreek seeds and black pepper One by one separately till you get nice aroma.
4. Mix all the ingredients together and grind it in a rice mill. Spread over a tray for 15 minutes to cool down. Collect it in a container and store. This can be used for more than 6 months Upto one year without refrigeration.