Chettinad Paruppu thuvaiyal recipe | செட்டிநாடு பருப்பு துவையல் is one of the popular recipe in chettinad ,consumed along with rasam rice or curd rice. Almost all aachi’s of Chettinad are experts in preparing it and it is very simple. This recipe comes in everyone’s mind when we have very short time to cook, and still we need a very tasty recipe. This paruppu thuvaiyal is prepared using roasted paasi paruppu/moong dal, a piece of coconut, dry red chilly and salt. Easily digestible for everyone, from kids to elders. No harm to the stomach on eating this thuvaiyal. Some of them may add 1/2 tsp of cumin/ seeragam and few curry leaves to get a good flavour. How ever it is optional. A piece of garlic is used here which helps in digestion.
Again this is an easily digestible healthy recipe for people who are sick. Prepare this easy and simple Chettinad recipe, taste it and give me your feed back. Now let us see how to prepare this “paruppu thuvaiyal” by following these simple steps.
A short video link for the recipe:-
Chettinad Paruppu thuvaiyal recipe – Ingredients:-
- moong dal / paasi paruppu – 1 cup
- red chilly / vara milagai – 1
- grated coconut / thengai thuruval – 2 tblsp
- garlic / poondu – 1 clove
- Salt / uppu – to taste
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few (optional)
Chettinad Paruppu thuvaiyal recipe – Method:-
1. Firstly dry roast the moong dal in other words “pasi paruppu” in tamil until it turns golden brown in colour and finally put the red chilly and roast for one minute. Switch off the stove and cool it to room temperature.
2. Secondly grind roasted moong dal or paasi paruppu finely or coarsely as per your wish along with red chilly, one garlic clove, two table spoons of grated coconut and required salt with little water. Do not add too much of water in the beginning. Add water as needed after grinding once. But take care that the thuvaiyal should be thick so that it lasts long. Cumin or seeragam and curry leaves are optional.
3. Serve this paruppu thuvaiyal along with rasam sadham or curd rice . All your family members will love it’s taste.