Chettinad pala oorugai | vegetable pickle recipe is common in chettinad area, where we make a pickle with different vegetables of different colours immersed in lemon juice and salt, which will be very attractive and tasty. Here we can use tender sundaikkai, murungaikkai, vellai milagai, poondu, carrot, inji, green chilly, cluster beans (seevarangai) and other vegetables of your choice.
We have already prepared few pickles such as Manjal kizhangu Oorugai, Naarthangai Oorugai, Nellikkai oorugai, Maavadu Oorugai, Cut Mango Pickle , Lemon pickle, Orange peel pickle, Garlic Pickle and many more.
Chettinad pala oorugai recipe – Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- tender sundaikkai – 1 cup
- tender murungaikkai / drumstick – 20 number
- garlic / poondu – 1 cup
- carrot – 1
- vellai milagai / white chilly – 12 number (if you do not get white chilly you can use green chillies)
- tender cluster beans / seeni avarangai – 1 cup
- lemon juice – as needed (around 6 – 10 fruits)
- salt – as needed
Chettinad pala oorugai recipe – Method:-
1. First of all remove half of the stalk of sundaikkai leaving the base portion along with the fruit, as shown in the photo below and put it in water.
2. Secondly wipe the fruit with a cloth without any water in other words make it dry and place above a tissue for one hour.
3. Then chop tender drumstick into 3/4 inch pieces.
4. On the other hand remove skin and chop garlic into small pieces.
5. Scrap the skin of carrot and chop into small long pieces as shown in the photo below. Let it dry in shade for one hour in a tissue.
6. Make slight cut in vellai milagai or white chilly. Put all the chopped vegetables in lemon juice and add required salt. Keep it in sunlight after closing it with a muslin cloth for one day. You can also put vegetables in lemon juice individually and mix finally. Next day you can add boiled and cooled water upto the level of the vegetables. Again keep it in sunlight for one more day.
7. Serve as side dish along with curd rice.