Chettinad Milagu podi recipe | மிளகு பொடி a powder prepared specially in Chettinad using Urad dal, Pepper and More milagaai (green chillies dried in hot sun along with salt and buttermilk). Milagu podi is mixed along with Ghee in hot rice and consumed. We should not grind it in machines where they grind red chillies. It may change the colour and taste of your podi.
In Chettinad in all rice mills, they’ll grind it in rice grinding machines. Or you can try to grind in your mixies at home. This Milagu podi will be served in Chettinad weddings too along with ghee to mix in rice.
Ill teach you first how to prepare more milagaai. It’s a form of dried green chillies. Buy fresh green chillies, remove stalk, make a cut in each chilly and have it.
In another container, take butter milk and salt in a ratio of 4:1. Butter milk can be taken one tumbler for 1/4 kg of green chillies. Put green chillies in the mixture of butter milk and salt over night. Early morning spread them in sunlight. Let it dry. If you have excess of butter milk, close it and have it.
After drying for the whole day in sunlight, in the evening put it again in the remaining butter milk, mix well and close. Again next day you can dry in sunlight. After chillies dry completely, colour changes completely to white as you see in the photo below.
- Urad dal/ulundam paruppu – 400 grams
- More milagaai/dried green chillies – 10 (green chillies soaked in salt and buttermilk and dried in sunlight)
- Raw rice/pachai milagai – 50gms
- Pepper/milagu – 1 tsp
- Salt/uppu – to taste
1. Dry roast (without oil) all the ingredients slightly till it becomes hot one by one separately.
2. Make it into a fine powder in a mixie or giving in a rice mill.
3. Serve along with hot rice and ghee.