Chettinad Masala Paniyaram recipe is one of the popular recipes of chettinad served along with breakfast or dinner or as evening snacks. This is also called as Masala Cheeyam in Chettinad. The main ingredients in this dish are raw rice and urad dal, both soaked in water for two hours and ground to a fine batter adding salt in a wet grinder. Paniyarams were deep fried in oil and served.
A short video link for the recipe:-
Chettinad Masala Paniyaram recipe – Ingredients:-
- raw rice/ pacharisi – 1 cup
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1/2 cup
- salt/ uppu – to taste
- onion – 1/4 cup finely chopped (pearl onions prefered)
- green chillies/ pachai milagai – 2-3 finely chopped
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- grated coconut/ thuviya thengai – 2 tblsp
- oil – for deep frying
Chettinad Masala Paniyaram recipe – Method:-
1. Wash raw rice and urad dal together and soak it in water for 2 hours.
2. Grind it into a smooth batter with little water.
3. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds and when it pops add green chillies and onion and fry till it turns translucent, add to the batter along with salt and coconut and mix well.
4. Heat enough oil in a kadai for deep frying, and when oil gets heated add the batter using your fingers into small lemon size balls.
5. Turn them and fry till it turns golden brown n all sides. Remove from oil and keep it in an absorbant paper to remove excess of oil.
6. Serve it with any chutney or idli podi or sugar.
Note:- Paniyaram should fall from our hands as small balls when putting in oil. When the paniyaram is hard add a little water to make the batter watery. If its too watery add little dry rice powder.
For more Chettinad recipes click on the links below