Chettinad Maavathal Paruppu recipe | Vegetarian dal is a side dish for rice which we prepare in Chettinad. When we mix rice with this maavathal paruppu the dish will be delicious. Most of you might not have tasted this recipe.
We say this as “arachu kodhikka vecha paruppu” in Chettinad cuisine. This is a delicious recipe prepared without adding tamarind. Maavathal is used here for its sour taste. Dried mangoes were prepared during mango season and stored for the whole year. We use those dried mangoes for preparing this maavathal paruppu recipe.
I have given you the method of preparation of maavathal already. Chettinad Maavathal Preparation | dry mango | மாவத்தல் செய்முறை. We prepare rasam, sambar, Mandi and many other recipes using maavathal. This is an easy to cook delicious side dish recipe with maavathal, which everyone should try.
Chettinad Maavathal Paruppu recipe – Ingredients:-
- maavathal / dry mangoes – 10 to 12 number
- toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1/2 cup (half cooked)
Chettinad Maavathal Paruppu recipe – Ingredients to grind separately:-
- moong dal / pasi paruppu – 1/2 cup
- red chillies – 4 to 5
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- garlic cloves/ poondu – 4 number
- grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- salt – to taste
Chettinad Maavathal Paruppu recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly half cook toor dal with enough water in a container, as shown in the photo below. Stop before the dal breaks. Avoid cooking in pressure cooker, because toor dal will be cooked completely in a pressure cooker. Here in an open pan we can see and stop when it is half cooked.
2. Secondly grind toor dal in a mixie coarsely. Keep it aside.
3. Further grind all other ingredients together (moong dal, red chillies, cumin seeds, garlic and coconut) and keep it separately.
4. Meanwhile add salt and boil maavathal with enough water in a container.
5. Finally add both the ground dals together and pour into the boiling maavathal. Check for salt. Maavathal will contain little salt already. When it boils and becomes thick switch off the stove.
6. This is a good combination for ragi kool as well as rice. Serve hot as side dish with rice and ghee.