Chettinad Kosumalli recipe | செட்டிநாடு கோசுமல்லி is one of the popular side dish in Chettinad Cuisine which we serve with idiyappam or dosai. This is one of my favourite recipe too which I learned from my mother and I wish to share it with you people today. It is a very easy to prepare recipe if you follow the steps given below carefully.
We use brinjals, potato, onion, tomato, green chillies and moong dal to prepare kosumalli. We add tamarind paste or juice and salt to enhance its taste. You can choose any type of brinjal which is available in the market. Here we use green chillies. Let’s see about the method of preparation now.
A short video link for the recipe:-
Chettinad Kosumalli recipe – Ingredients:-
- brinjal -4 (chopped)
- potato – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- green chillies – 4-5 (slit)
- moong dal – 3/4 cup
- turmeric powder/ manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind paste – 1 tsp (or juice extracted from lemon size tamarind)
- salt – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- fenugreek seeds / vendhayam- 1/4 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
Chettinad Kosumalli recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly cook chopped brinjal, tomato, potato, onion, green chillies, turmeric powder and moong dal for one whistle in a pressure cooker.
2. Secondly once when pressure is released open the pressure cooker. Add salt and tamarind paste or tamarind juice extracted with enough water and bring to boil again.
3. Further heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida and when it splutters add curry leaves, red chilly and switch off the stove.
4. Finally add to the boiling kosumalli. Serve with hot idli’s, dosa or idiyappam as side dish.
For other Chettinad side dishes click on the links below