Chettinad katharikkai thalaikkari aviyal recipe is a popular side dish prepared for idli or dosa. This is a vegetarian side dish prepared with brinjal but in the same method as we prepare with lamb head and so this was named as “thalaikkari” in chettinad. Onion, tomato, brinjal, potato, coconut, poppy seeds, roasted gram, fennel seeds, cashews and spices were the ingredients used. Other dishes we have already prepared with brinjal are brinjal sambar,Chettinad katharikkai kootu, brinjal masala, Ennai Kathirikaai Kuzhambu (Chettinad), stuffed brinjal roast, Chettinad Katharikkai kosumalli and Punjabi style Baingan Bharta. Now let us see how to prepare this brinjal side dish.
Chettinad katharikkai thalaikkari aviyal recipe – Ingredients:-
- brinjal / katharikkai – 4 number
- potato / urulaikizhangu – 1
- onion – 1
- tomato – 1
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- salt – to taste
- red chillies / vara milagai – 5 number
- fennel seeds / sombu – 1 tsp
- roasted gram / pottu kadalai – 2 tsp
- cashew nuts / mundhiri – 4 number
- poppy seeds / kasa kasa – 3/4 tsp
- grated coconut / thengai thuruval -1/2 cup (200 ml cup)
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- bay leaf – 1
- cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
- cardomom – 2 number
- cloves – 3 number
1. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan and add red chillies.
2. Next add fennel seeds, roasted gram and cashews.
3. Switch off the stove and add poppy seeds and grated coconut. Cool down to room temperature and grind it into a fine paste.
4. Chop onion and tomatoes and keep it ready along with few curry leaves.
5. Chop brinjals and potato into small square pieces and put it in water.
6. Heat a fry pan with one tsp of oil put bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardomom and cloves.
7. When it splutters add chopped onions and curry leaves.
8. When onions turn pale add chopped tomatoes.
9. Fry for 2 minutes and then add chopped brinjals and potato.
10. Fry for 2 minutes and add one cup of water along with turmeric powder. Close and cook for 8-10 minutes.
11. When the ingredients were cooked well and becomes soft add salt and ground coconut mix.