Chettinad katharikkai kootu recipe | brinjal Pachadi is one of the common Chettinad recipe with brinjal. This dish can be served as side dish with rice or idli. We prepare this kootu with brinjal toor dal, onion, tomato, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, ghee and salt. You can use any type of tender brinjals for preparing this dish. We have already prepared a few dishes such as brinjal masala, Baingan Bharta, Stuffed Brinjal Roast, Ennai Kathirikaai Kuzhambu (Chettinad), Chettinad Katharikkai kosumalli and Andhra style brinjal curry.
- brinjal / katharikkai – 1/4 kg (chopped)
- onion – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- tomato – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- curry leaves – few
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder preparation
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1 tsp
- salt – to taste
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- cooked toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1 cup
- ghee / nei – 1 tsp
1. Chop brinjal into small pieces as shown in the photo and put it in water.
2. Chop onion (I have used pearl onions / sambar onions) tomato and keep it in a plate along with curry leaves.
3. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan. Add chopped onion and curry leaves and sauté for few minutes.
4. When onion turns pale add chopped tomatoes and sauté for few more minutes in low flame without sticking to the pan. Close and cook till tomatoes becomes mushy.
5. Next add chopped brinjal and sauté.
6. Sauté for one minute and add one cup of water along with turmeric powder.
7. Close and cook till all vegetables were well cooked and becomes soft.
8. Now add red chilly powder and salt. Keep it in low flame till raw smell leaves the pan. Add required water and cumin seeds.
9. Next add cooked toor dal and mix well.
10. Keep it in low flame for two minutes.