Chettinad Kari vadagam | Onion | Vengaya vadagam will be prepared when we get onions abundantly mostly during summer because it will be easy to dry in sunlight. This can be stored and used instantly when ever needed. It’s one of the delicious food of Chettinad. We can prepare it during the season and use throughout the year. To know more about click – Chettinad cuisineTry this vadagam and you will enjoy the taste.
Chettinad Vengaya Kari vadagam – Ingredients:-
- vengayam/sambar onions – 2 kgs
- Garlic – 1/4 kg
- urad dal – 1.5 cups/300 gms
- red chillies – 40 no
- cumin seeds – 50 gms
- javvarisi – 50 gms
- salt – to taste
Chettinad Vengaya Kari vadagam – Method:-
1. Cut top and bottom of sambar onions and remove skin.
2. Chop onions finely. Same way remove skin of garlic and chop it.
3. Soak urad dal in water for 2 hours and grind it in a wet grinder.
4. Soak javvarisi in water separately.
5. Dry roast cumin seeds and grind it dry in a mixie along with red chillies.
6. Now mix chopped onions, chopped garlic, ground chilly and cumin powder, ground urad dal, soaked javvarisi and salt.
7. Take large plastic sheets and make vadagam in pinches with your hands or a spoon. Keep in direct sunlight for the whole day. Evening take it, close with a muslin cloth, or in any container. Again keep it in direct sunlight for the second day.
8. Now after 2 days when you were able to remove from the sheet without breaking, remove them and keep upside down in other broad containers and dry in sunlight for two more days.
9. When it dries completely it can be broken. Now collect it and store in containers.
10. Deep fry the vadagam when ever needed. This can be used as side dish with curd rice or sambar rice.
For more vathal recipes in my website click on the below links
- Midhukku vathal preparation | மிதுக்கு வத்தல் செய்முறை
- Chettinad Maavathal Preparation | dry mango | மாவத்தல் செய்முறை
- Manathakkali Vathal preparation | Milaguthakkali | மிளகு தக்காளி வத்தல்