Chettinad Kari vadagam is a popular vadagam which you can prepare during summer. Or when we get onions abundantly mostly during summer because it will be easy to dry in sunlight. You can store and used this vadagam instantly when ever needed. It is one of the delicious food of Chettinad. We can prepare it during the season and use throughout the year. To know more about click – Chettinad cuisineTry this vadagam and you will enjoy it’s taste.
A short video link for the recipe:-
Chettinad Vengaya Kari vadagam – Ingredients:-
- vengayam / sambar onions / pearl onions – 2 kgs
- Garlic / poondu – 1/4 kg
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1.5 cups (300 gms)
- red chillies / vara milagai – 40 no
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 50 gms
- javvarisi – 50 gms
- salt – to taste
Chettinad Vengaya Kari vadagam – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly chop top and bottom of sambar onions and remove skin.
2. Secondly chop onions finely. Same way remove skin of garlic and chop it.
3. Mean while soak urad dal in water for 2 hours and grind it in a wet grinder.
4. Soak javvarisi in water separately.
5. Further dry roast cumin seeds and grind it dry in a mixie along with red chillies.
6. Now mix chopped onions, chopped garlic, ground chilly and cumin powder, ground urad dal batter, soaked javvarisi and salt in a container.
7. Take large plastic sheets and make vadagam in pinches with your hands or a spoon. Keep in direct sunlight for the whole day. Evening take it, close with a muslin cloth, or in any container. Again keep it in direct sunlight for the second day.
8. Now after 2 days when you were able to remove from the sheet without breaking, remove them and keep upside down in other broad containers and dry in sunlight for two more days.
9. When it dries completely, you can break the vadagam. Now collect it and store in containers.
10. Deep fry the vadagam in any oil when ever needed. This can be used as side dish with curd rice or sambar rice.
For more vathal recipes in my website click on the below links